Deadlines can be stressful times for writers. I'm in the final stretch of my third book with the aim of completing by may 30th. I've been banging my head against a wall for the last week on the ending.
Marathon writing is hard. Marathon writers block is hell.
There is no better time to self-medicate with alcohol. Yet, there is no worse time to get completely shit-hammered. So, using science and spreadsheets I invented a cocktail that would give me a buzz through the day and into my all-nighters but wouldn't leave me feeling like shit the next day. So far it's been a smashing success.
Since I'm being eminently pragmatic I also wanted to reduce the harm as much as humanly possible so I wanted a low cost and low calorie alternative to wine and beer.
I call it...
It's basically vodka and infused water.
- 8 oz 80 proof vodka
- 60 oz water, infused
For the Infusion
- Cucumber (around half of one)
- A few limes (more can never hurt)
- Some cilantro
- (There are a ton of options here-- fruit medeleys, hot sauces, mint, powdered vitamins, etc. I feel like I'm drinking spa water)
- Basically chop up all the veggies in a pitcher of water and let chill overnight.
- Measure Vodka in a second pitcher with a seal-able lid.
- Strain infused water and shake. Hint: Making a large batch means you won't over-pour as the day wears on.
Alcohol % is 4, better than most beers and wine coolers.
Materials included. I'm paying $0.58 per drink
Calories are about 90 for an 8 oz serving
It tastes healthy, like going to the spa.
Tons, it's alcohol.
Mike bode is the author of The Queen of Lies, the first installment in the ongoing series, Architects of the Grand Design. His next book comes out October. Sign up for the mailing list for more info. You can find him on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest . (You can also follow him on Goodreads and even Amazon)